In 1970, funded by memorial gifts from Units, a loan from Auxiliary funds, and an inheritance to the Auxiliary from a former member, the Auxiliary Emergency Fund was established. This fund, which provides emergency assistance to a member for a limited period of time. Members of the American Legion Auxiliary who have maintained membership for at least the immediate past two years and who have paid their dues for the current year (three consecutive years of membership) are eligible to apply.
Another kind of emergency has been recognized by the Auxiliary – the emergency a woman faces when she is suddenly single – deserted, divorced, or widowed, with no skills to support herself or her family. It is to give immediate, rather than long-term, assistance.
These funds provide assistance for:
- Financial crisis to help pay for shelter and utilities. Funds are not available to settle accumulated debts, or to help with medical expenses.
- Disaster relief: to help pay for food and shelter due to weather-related emergencies and natural disasters.
- Educational training: due to life changes such as death of a spouse, divorce, or separation, necessitating the Auxiliary member to assume the role of primary source of support for her family.
Duties for the Auxiliary Emergency Fund Chairman:
- Encourage chairmanship in each Unit
- Encourage distribution of information (brochure) to every member when they receive their membership card
- Make Applications available to each unit through Department Office
- Encourage contributions through Unit Memorials
- Monthly bulletins from Division Chairman to Departments
- California – increase donations to Displaced Homemakers Fund
- Note: Donations have increased from $25 to $50 in order to receive an AEF pin
- Department Code – AEF
- AEF National Program Action Plan
- AEF Frequently Asked Questions
- AEF Application
- AEF Contribution Form
- AEF Expedited Disaster Application
- National AEF Donation
- Mid-Year Report Forms
- Year-End Report Forms